Very good, typical Kuwaiti dish. From http://www.kuwaitrecipes.com
Make and share this Kuwaiti Chicken and Rice With Daqoos - Garlic Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 baby chicken
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (to be gluten free)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, soaked in water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lime powder, Loomi
- 1 teaspoon middle eastern mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups pureed canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- sliced blanched almond (optional)
- Rinse chicken inside and out.
- Place in a stockpot with enough water to cover. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, juice of 1/2 lemon and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil skimming as required, continue to simmer partially covered until chicken is done (approximately 40 minutes).
- Remove and drain the chicken, reserving broth though a strainer.
- Prepare basmati rice according to it's package directions, using broth from chicken instead of water. Add turmeric for colour and salt to taste.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the onions in a skillet over medium heat, with 2 tablespoons olive oil, until soft.
- Sprinkle with a little water and stir quickly until onions are brown and the water has evaporated. Stir in drained raisins, pine nuts, sliced blanched almonds if using, ½ teaspoons bahrat and loomi powder. Cook for one minute. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
- Lightly dust the boiled, drained chicken with flour. In a clean skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken in 1 Tbs. olive oil, turning, until the outside is crispy and brown.
- For the tomato sauce, add water, chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, tomato paste, salt, sugar and the rest of bahrat in a small saucepan, sauté until tomatoes are soft and the sauce is well blended.
- When the rice is done, spread it on a serving platter. Sprinkle the onion mixture over the rice, and place the chicken on top. Pass the tomato garlic sauce to spoon onto individual plates.
This is a wonderful recipe! Very good recipe description, easy to make and so fragrant! I froze the remaining broth for later use, to cook rice. Only change I made was to use four chicken legs instead of one whole chicken, but otherwise followed to the letter.
Will make this again with great pleasure! Thanks for sharing!
Made for Think Pink 2011.
Lovely! I cooked the chicken the day before in the slow cooker. let the fat settle on the stock overnight, and went from there.
Delicious. Easy steps but takes a bit longer than 1.5 hours - or was that just me?