1/1 Photo of Kuwaiti Chicken and Rice With Daqoos - Garlic Tomato Sauce
Very good, typical Kuwaiti dish. From http://www.kuwaitrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 baby chicken
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons rice flour (to be gluten free)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 black peppercorns
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisin, soaked in water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lime powder, Loomi
- 1 teaspoon middle eastern mixed spice (Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups pureed canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- sliced blanched almond (optional)
- 1Rinse chicken inside and out.
- 2Place in a stockpot with enough water to cover. Add cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, juice of 1/2 lemon and salt to taste.
- 3Bring to a boil skimming as required, continue to simmer partially covered until chicken is done (approximately 40 minutes).
- 4Remove and drain the chicken, reserving broth though a strainer.
- 5Prepare basmati rice according to it's package directions, using broth from chicken instead of water. Add turmeric for colour and salt to taste.
- 6While the rice is cooking, cook the onions in a skillet over medium heat, with 2 tablespoons olive oil, until soft.
- 7Sprinkle with a little water and stir quickly until onions are brown and the water has evaporated. Stir in drained raisins, pine nuts, sliced blanched almonds if using, ½ teaspoons bahrat and loomi powder. Cook for one minute. Remove mixture from skillet and set aside.
- 8Lightly dust the boiled, drained chicken with flour. In a clean skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken in 1 Tbs. olive oil, turning, until the outside is crispy and brown.
- 9For the tomato sauce, add water, chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, tomato paste, salt, sugar and the rest of bahrat in a small saucepan, sauté until tomatoes are soft and the sauce is well blended.
- 10When the rice is done, spread it on a serving platter. Sprinkle the onion mixture over the rice, and place the chicken on top. Pass the tomato garlic sauce to spoon onto individual plates.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kuwaiti Chicken and Rice With Daqoos - Garlic Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (857 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1517.8
- Calories from Fat 602
- Total Fat 66.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 78.2 mg
- Sodium 499.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 28.6 g
- Protein 36.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried lime powder