Recipe by Mirj
A lot of you don't know it, but Yooper and I are diet buddies. We were chatting on the phone one Friday morning and he told me how he admired my talent of just "coming up" with a recipe off the top of my head. That morning, with Yoop's words echoing in my head, I created this curried chicken recipe. And guess what, Yooper? It's legal for Somersizing. Non-Sommersizers can serve this with some Basmati rice. Mark, I return the compliment by naming this dish after you! Prep time includes marinating, but cook time does not include crockpot option.
Top Review by najwa
I had my eye on this for a long time .. I made it today and it is excellent! I only marinated the chicken for 2 hours but the flavor was wonderful .. I added a bit of extra vinegar, and simmered until the liquid evaporated .. I love the fact that there is no extra fat in this recipe! I didn't know chicken could be so tender without added fat! I made shawarma with these and my husband loved it! thanks a lot Mirjam!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 -12 cloves garlic (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken pieces in a (large) Ziploc bag.
- Dump the next nine ingredients in your blender and give it a good whirl for about 30 seconds.
- Add the marinade to the bag.
- Remove the air from the bag and seal.
- Knead the bag to mix the meat and marinade.
- Ensure that all the meat is covered.
- Refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Place in a large pot over low heat.
- Add the whole peppercorns and the bay leaves.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours.
- This can also be done in the crock pot on high for 6 hours.