Prep 24 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
A lot of you don't know it, but Yooper and I are diet buddies. We were chatting on the phone one Friday morning and he told me how he admired my talent of just "coming up" with a recipe off the top of my head. That morning, with Yoop's words echoing in my head, I created this curried chicken recipe. And guess what, Yooper? It's legal for Somersizing. Non-Sommersizers can serve this with some Basmati rice. Mark, I return the compliment by naming this dish after you! Prep time includes marinating, but cook time does not include crockpot option.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 -12 cloves garlic (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces vinegar
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- Place the chicken pieces in a (large) Ziploc bag.
- Dump the next nine ingredients in your blender and give it a good whirl for about 30 seconds.
- Add the marinade to the bag.
- Remove the air from the bag and seal.
- Knead the bag to mix the meat and marinade.
- Ensure that all the meat is covered.
- Refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
- Place in a large pot over low heat.
- Add the whole peppercorns and the bay leaves.
- Simmer for at least 2 hours.
- This can also be done in the crock pot on high for 6 hours.
I had my eye on this for a long time .. I made it today and it is excellent! I only marinated the chicken for 2 hours but the flavor was wonderful .. I added a bit of extra vinegar, and simmered until the liquid evaporated .. I love the fact that there is no extra fat in this recipe! I didn't know chicken could be so tender without added fat! I made shawarma with these and my husband loved it! thanks a lot Mirjam!
Mirj-I'm truly honored that you named this dish after me, and I'm so glad you did because this tastes incredible! As I explained to you on the phone, I hadn't gotten around to making this because the curry powder available here is very generic and lacks a lot of flavor. A friend of mine made a trip to Milwaukee and I had her bring me back some graham marsala curry powder from a Middle Eastern grocery. Yowza! That stuff made this chicken sing! The curry powder with the other spices created a truly exotic flavor. I marinated in the spices for 18 hours and then used the crockpot method. The chicen was so tender it practically melted! I did go for broke and used some basmati rice to sop up the incredible sauce! I also steamed some eggplant which complimented this nicely! Thank you so much Mirj...not too many people can claim they have a recipe named after them!!!!
A very easy recipe. I used only chicken breast. I just don`t understand the simmer for 2 hour part. I cooked till done about 10 minutes, stirring till done. I added frozen green peas to the chicken to heat at the end. I served with jasmin rice. Has lots of flavor.