Prep 39 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my friend Namitha Elezabeth Thomas' recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 kg chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
- 250 g potatoes, peeled,washed and sliced into rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 onions
- 3 sprigs fresh curry leaves, washed and torn
To grind to a fine paste
- 8 green chilies
- 3 red chilies
- 6 -8 black peppercorns
- 1 inch fresh ginger, washed and peeled
- 8 cloves garlic
- 6 small onions (sambar onions)
To be finely crushed
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- ghee, to fry
- salt, to taste
- Pour the crushed and ground mixtures in a pot.
- Add coconut milk, yogurt, salt and curry leaves.
- Fold in the chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken in this sauce on low flame until it is tender.
- Fry the onion and the potato in oil.
- Keep aside.
- Now, fry the cooked chicken pieces till they become dark brown.
- Arrange the fried chicken, fried onion and fried potato in a large serving bowl.
- Stir in the sauce into the remaining oil and saute for 7 minutes.
- Pour this sauce over the arranged chicken.