1/2 Photos of Kusherie (Egyptian Rice and Lentils)
Easy to make, despite the recipe length, and high in protein. In Egypt this is served with plain yogurt as a side dish. From Mennonite cookbook More-With-Less.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Rice and Lentils
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/4 cups lentils
- 3 cups boiling water (or stock)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 cup boiling water (or stock)
- 3/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups tomato juice (or tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or crushed chilis to taste)
- 1In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, brown lentils in 2 Tbsp oil, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- 2Add the 3 cups boiling stock and the salt and pepper.
- 3Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
- 4Stir in the rice and 1 cup stock.
- 5Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes without stirring.
- 6Meanwhile make sauce: Heat all the sauce ingredients together in a medium saucepan.
- 7Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- 8To make browned onions, heat oil in a small skillet.
- 9Saute onions and garlic over medium heat till browned.
- 10To serve, put rice lentil mixture on a platter, pour tomato sauce over and top with browned onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kusherie (Egyptian Rice and Lentils)
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1183.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 10.3 g