Recipe by Semra22
Sesame oil really adds to this Kung Pao Chicken recipe. Not for the faint of heart!
Top Review by bordinbetti
This was so tasty! I added carrots, green peppers, and watercress to the recipe and it made it so much nicer. Served with brown rice was a hit! Next time I will add more chili paste as it could have been hotter.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 egg white
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chinese chili paste with garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 4 green onions, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine chicken with egg white and 3 teaspoons of the cornstarch, toss to coat.
- In another bowl, blend chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, vinegar, broth, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, and sesame oil. Set sauce aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir fry until it separates and turns white, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Fry the peanuts in the oil over medium heat until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes. (You may need to add a bit more oil). Remove and drain.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons oil from the pan, stir fry onions, garlic and hot pepper for 30 seconds. Add chicken, and stir fry over high heat 1 minute.
- Add the sauce, stir fry until heated through and thickened. Add peanuts and stir.