Recipe by Japanese Delight
Recipe by Kylie Kwong from Kylie Kwong from cook boook, 'My China' This was very tasty! Used chicken breast, the marinade made it very tender. I added chopped green onion along with the ginger also. Next time I make this though I'll add a veggie, snowpeas and onions would be good! This is a quick, easy and tasty meal!
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornflour cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of sichuan salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken with cornflour and shao hsing wine in a bowl. Cover, place in refrigerator and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place oil and chillies in a cold wok and then turn heat to low. Cook for about 1½ minutes or until chillies begin to darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, immediately remove chillies and drain on kitchen paper.
- Leaving chilli-infused oil in wok, turn heat up to high and stir-fry half the chicken cubes for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add extra oil to wok with remaining chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Return all chicken to wok, along with ginger and reserved chillies and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add peanuts, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Sichuan pepper and salt.