Japanese Delight's Note:
Recipe by Kylie Kwong from Kylie Kwong from cook boook, 'My China' This was very tasty! Used chicken breast, the marinade made it very tender. I added chopped green onion along with the ginger also. Next time I make this though I'll add a veggie, snowpeas and onions would be good! This is a quick, easy and tasty meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornflour cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 dried red chilies
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, extra
- 2 tablespoons ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar or 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch of sichuan salt and pepper
- 1Combine chicken with cornflour and shao hsing wine in a bowl. Cover, place in refrigerator and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- 2Place oil and chillies in a cold wok and then turn heat to low. Cook for about 1½ minutes or until chillies begin to darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, immediately remove chillies and drain on kitchen paper.
- 3Leaving chilli-infused oil in wok, turn heat up to high and stir-fry half the chicken cubes for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add extra oil to wok with remaining chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- 4Return all chicken to wok, along with ginger and reserved chillies and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- 5Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add peanuts, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Sichuan pepper and salt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Po Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 487.5
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 124.5 mg
- Sodium 646.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 35.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper