Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A quick and easy meal that is full of spice and flavor. It makes plenty of sauce for serving over rice or lo mein noodles. The whole family loved it.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili paste, depending on how hot you like it (like sambal oelek)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 lb extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Whisk together the broth, oyster sauce, chile paste, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shrimp and peanuts and cook, stirring, until the shrimp are just barely cooked (2 - 3 minutes). Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat the sesame oil in the skillet, and saute the bell pepper until just barely tender (about 3 minutes). Then add the garlic and ginger to the skillet with the bell peppers and cook, stirring, until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the broth mixture to the pan with the pepper mixture. Bring to boil. When boiling, add the shrimp and peanuts and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 1 minute. Make sure the shrimp are done (but not overcooked).
- Serve over rice or lo mein noodles.
We made this for dinner last night and it was certainly easy to make and required minimal prep, which was great for a weekday. Subbed veggie broth for chicken broth; otherwise made the recipe as posted. We served over lo mein noodles. I might have added some chili flakes or Thai chili peppers for additional heat, but that is personal preference. Thanks!
You have done it again! This is an outstanding dish that is easy enough for a weeknight but elegant enough for a dinner party. I used the minimum amount of chili paste but will up it next time around. It was served with Recipe #308293 for a delicious meal. Made for *PAC Spring 2010*
Great recipe minus the peanuts (just a personal preference) The flavors where right on! Certain to be made agai. It has been requested already!