This is from my 365 One Dish Meals Cookbook. Serve this over some plain steamed jasmine rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup skinless roasted peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces Chinese pea pods
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and egg white.
- 2Toss to mix thoroughly.
- 3In a skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pink and loosely curled, 1-2 minutes.
- 4With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a bowl.
- 5Add peanuts to oil in skillet and fry for 30 seconds.
- 6Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 7Drain off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- 8Add hot pepper flakes, pea pods, water chestnuts, scallions and garlic.
- 9Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- 10Return shrimp to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- 11Mix in chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, red wine vinegar, sugar and chicken broth until well blended.
- 12Dissolve remaining cornstarch in cold water and add to pan.
- 13Cook over high heat, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- 14Add peanuts and mix well. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Pao Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.8
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 129.6 mg
- Sodium 1481.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese pea pods