Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from my 365 One Dish Meals Cookbook. Serve this over some plain steamed jasmine rice.
Make and share this Kung Pao Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup skinless roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces Chinese pea pods
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and egg white.
- Toss to mix thoroughly.
- In a skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pink and loosely curled, 1-2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a bowl.
- Add peanuts to oil in skillet and fry for 30 seconds.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Drain off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- Add hot pepper flakes, pea pods, water chestnuts, scallions and garlic.
- Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Return shrimp to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- Mix in chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, red wine vinegar, sugar and chicken broth until well blended.
- Dissolve remaining cornstarch in cold water and add to pan.
- Cook over high heat, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add peanuts and mix well. Serve immediately.