Recipe by dicentra
This is from my 365 One Dish Meals Cookbook. Serve this over some plain steamed jasmine rice.
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup skinless roasted peanuts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces Chinese pea pods
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the shrimp with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and egg white.
- Toss to mix thoroughly.
- In a skillet, heat oil over high heat until hot. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pink and loosely curled, 1-2 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a bowl.
- Add peanuts to oil in skillet and fry for 30 seconds.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Drain off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the skillet.
- Add hot pepper flakes, pea pods, water chestnuts, scallions and garlic.
- Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Return shrimp to the pan and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- Mix in chili paste, soy sauce, sherry, red wine vinegar, sugar and chicken broth until well blended.
- Dissolve remaining cornstarch in cold water and add to pan.
- Cook over high heat, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add peanuts and mix well. Serve immediately.