Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 8 baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 12 small ears canned baby corn
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Make sauce: In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients except sesame oil; mix well. Stir in sesame oil and set aside.
- In wok or large, heavy skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, garlic and ginger and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add edamame and corn and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir sauce and pour into vegetables. Stir-fry until thickened, 30 seconds.
- Divide rice among 4 shallow, wide bowls.
- Spoon vegetables over rice and serve hot or at room temperature.
Took it to a church dinner and there were only 2 tablespoons full leftover....no one would take the last. People kept coming up and commenting on it. It was a hit! I used yellow instead of red onions, as that is what I had. Since I had no baby corn I used hearts of palm instead. I also had some rapini that needed to be used up, so I added that too. I almost doubled the amount of orange juice....1.5 times what is called for would be just perfect. Jasmine rice is what I had so that is what I used. People really raved about it. The red pepper flakes were few enough that even people who don't eat heat liked it.
This was yummy! Kind of like a vegetarian orange chicken. I also added some soy sauce (so less salt) and lime, and a little more veggies.
Delicious! I used white rice, because that was all I had. Then I added some extra orange juice as well as a couple tablespoons of soy sauce to the sauce. It was such a good, simple, yet satisfying meal! Thank you.