Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish can be as spicy as you want to make it...you control the crushed red pepper.
Make and share this Kung Pao Noodles and Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups fine egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 (3/4 ounce) envelope Asian seasoning, mix (for kung pao chicken)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 medium green onions, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook and drain noodles as directed on package; keep warm.
- Heat oil in 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink in center.
- Stir in dry seasoning mix, water, sugar and soy sauce.
- Heat to boiling; boil 30 seconds to 1 min., stirring constantly until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in noodles; toss to coat.
- Before serving, sprinkle with green onions, peanuts and crushed red pepper.
- Note: To really knock up the heat level, 3/4 cup szechuan sauce can be substituted for the water, sugar and soy sauce. Taste before adding any additional crushed red pepper. I doubt that you'll need it.
I am not going to give this a star rating, because I made so many changes. I used agave sweetener in place of the sugar (and far more than the 1 tablespoon called for), and spaghetti in place of the egg noodles, since that is what needed to be used up. What really mattered, though were the additions I made. I added oyster sauce, hot sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, and five spice powder, all of which I recommend. With these additions, this was a five star recipe. Before these additions, the recipe was blander than I expected. Tweak however you see fit--the recipe is worth it!
My family really liked this recipe! To me, there was some taste in the envelope of seasoning that seemed strange to me. Cilantro, maybe? Anyway, I did double the sauce and tossed it with rice noodles, topped with honey-roasted peanuts. YUM! Made for PAC, Spring 09.