FOR THE MARINADE
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup chinese black vinegar or 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 small dried red chilies
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Stir to coat chicken well. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine all sauce ingredients.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove chicken and chiles from wok.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add celery, bell pepper and bamboo shoots; stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Return chicken and chiles to wok; stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add sauce and bring to boil. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Add peanuts and stir to coat.