Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
FOR THE MARINADE
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch pieces
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1⁄4 cup chinese black vinegar or 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 small dried red chilies
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄3 cup roasted peanuts
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Stir to coat chicken well. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine all sauce ingredients.
- Place a wok over high heat until hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling to coat sides. Add chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add chicken and stir-fry 2 minutes. Remove chicken and chiles from wok.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to wok, swirling to coat sides. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add celery, bell pepper and bamboo shoots; stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Return chicken and chiles to wok; stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add sauce and bring to boil. Add cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Add peanuts and stir to coat.
Great recipe! We loved the perk from the balsamic vinegar & sherry. The sauce is the star and I was glad to have enough to spoon onto rice. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
This is a great dish! Nice and spicy, good with the vegetables. Next time I'll add more soy sauce as we like that flavor. Thanks for posting this recipe!