Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from the Brand Names Recipe Cookbook. There are lots of different recipes for this, but this is one of the better ones. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 5 teaspoons soy sauce, divided
- 5 teaspoons rice wine or 5 teaspoons dry sherry, divided
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,dried,and cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts (don't use the seasoned ones; the will burn during toasting)
- 6 small dried hot chili peppers, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 -4 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- hot cooked rice, as accompaniment
- For marinade, combine 2 Tsp soy sauce, 2 Tsp rice wine, 2 Tsp cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well.
- Add chicken, and stir to coat well.
- Let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine remaining 3 Tsp soy sauce, 3 Tsp rice wine, chicken broth, vinegar, sugar, and remaining 2 Tsp cornstarch in a small bowl, mix well, and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat.
- Add peanuts and cook until golden brown, being careful not to burn them; remove peanuts and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil in wok over medium heat, and stir-fry until peppers just begin to darken.
- Increase heat to high, add chicken, and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic, and stir-fry until chicken is cooked through, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add green onions and peanuts.
- Stir cornstarch mixture, and add to pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.