1/4 Photos of Kung Pao Chicken
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe is from Kylie Kwong's "My China" cookbook and is absolutely delicious! A mouth-watering combination of fried chicken cubes, chiles and peanuts dressed with soy sauce and black vinegar."Gong Bao Jiding" in chinese, is named after 19th century Szechuanese Governor.The original recipe uses chicken thighs, I substituted with chicken breast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ounces chicken fillets, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 10 small dried red chilies
- 2 inches piece ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- szechuan salt and pepper
- 1Combine chicken with cornstarch and wine in a bowl. Cover, place in refrigerator and leave to marinate for one hour.
- 2Place 2 tbs oil and chiles in a cold wok and THEN turn the heat to low. Cook for about 1 1/2 minutes or until chiles begin to darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, immediately remove chiles and drain on kitchen paper towel.
- 3Leaving the chile-infused oil in the wok, turn heat up to high and stir-fry half of the chicken cubes for 3 minutes.
- 4Remove with slotted spoon. Add the rest of the oil to the wok with the remaining chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Return all chicken to wok, along with the ginger and reserved chiles and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- 5Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add peanuts, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for another 30 seconds. Serve immediately with Szechuan salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Marinades and Rubs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kung Pao Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 679.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 37.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: