Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Spicy Chinese beef with the crunch of peanuts. Serve with rice. Sometimes I like to make this with part beef, part chicken and part shrimp. Put the shrimp in near the end as they don't take long to cook if you'd like to try this.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, partially frozen
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 10 whole dried red chili peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 2 green onions, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, diced (may use jicama)
- steamed rice
For the Sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- Slice beef diagonally, across the grain, into thin slices.
- Combine beef, salt, egg white, and cornstarch.
- Toss together until well mixed and set aside.
- Stir together all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add two tbsp oil to the wok and stir-fry beef until just browned.
- Remove from wok.
- Add 2 more tbsp oil to wok and add peanuts and the hot peppers to the wok and cook until the peppers turn dark.
- Remove all from wok and place with the beef.
- Add more oil to wok if needed- and add bell peppers to wok and cook for one minute, then reduce heat on wok.
- Add green onions, ginger and garlic to bell peppers and cook for a few moments but do not let garlic burn.
- Add beef and peanut/pepper mixture back into wok and stir to blend.
- Add chopped water chestnuts (chopped jicama if you prefer) and sauce mixture and cook until heated through.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Excellent! I have made this many times. I also add chopped celery like my favorite local restaurant Golden Wok in Grand Rapids MI.