Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
For a request. This recipe is by Ana Sortun. I often make my own syrup by boiling 1 cup honey (I believe Greek thyme honey is the best, and if you can get it, go for it!), 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups water with 1 stick of cinnamon for 10 minutes.
- 1⁄2 package shredded phyllo dough, also called kadafi
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 lb fresh buffalo mozzarella, grated
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ground pistachios
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -5 drops rose water
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place kadafi in a food processor and chop up finely.
- Add butter and milk and line a 8 inch square heavy baking dish with half of this mixture.
- Mix the cheeses with the pistachios, sugar& nutmeg and spread onto shredded filo.
- Top with the remaining shredded pastry.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Make a sugar syrup by boiling water with sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook until reduced by a third and it becomes nice and thick.
- Stir in rose water to taste.
- When kunefe comes out of the oven, ladle 2/3 of the hot syrup over it and save the rest to pass while eating.
- Serve hot.
I love this one! My boyfriend was in Turkey 2 years ago and when he came back he couldn't stop talking about this dessert. We were so happy when we found this recipe and we make it only for special occasions (which turn up often :D). Thanks!
This is such an easy dessert to make and is very tasty. You do not need to use a food processor, just chiffonade the Kataifi (shredded filo dough) right out of the package in about 1/4 inch cuts. You actually end up with a more consistent shredded pastry. I added a little honey (1-2Tbls) to the syrup but no cinnamon as suggested by a comment. I also used orange blossom water instead of rose perfect aroma with the honey. It was great!