Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For a request. This recipe is by Ana Sortun. I often make my own syrup by boiling 1 cup honey (I believe Greek thyme honey is the best, and if you can get it, go for it!), 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups water with 1 stick of cinnamon for 10 minutes.
- 1⁄2 package shredded phyllo dough, also called kadafi
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 lb fresh buffalo mozzarella, grated
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup ground pistachios
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -5 drops rose water
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place kadafi in a food processor and chop up finely.
- Add butter and milk and line a 8 inch square heavy baking dish with half of this mixture.
- Mix the cheeses with the pistachios, sugar& nutmeg and spread onto shredded filo.
- Top with the remaining shredded pastry.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Make a sugar syrup by boiling water with sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook until reduced by a third and it becomes nice and thick.
- Stir in rose water to taste.
- When kunefe comes out of the oven, ladle 2/3 of the hot syrup over it and save the rest to pass while eating.
- Serve hot.