For a request. This recipe is by Ana Sortun. I often make my own syrup by boiling 1 cup honey (I believe Greek thyme honey is the best, and if you can get it, go for it!), 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups water with 1 stick of cinnamon for 10 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 package shredded phyllo dough, also called kadafi
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 lb fresh buffalo mozzarella, grated
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup ground pistachios
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 -5 drops rose water
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 2Place kadafi in a food processor and chop up finely.
- 3Add butter and milk and line a 8 inch square heavy baking dish with half of this mixture.
- 4Mix the cheeses with the pistachios, sugar& nutmeg and spread onto shredded filo.
- 5Top with the remaining shredded pastry.
- 6Bake for 45 minutes.
- 7Make a sugar syrup by boiling water with sugar and lemon juice.
- 8Cook until reduced by a third and it becomes nice and thick.
- 9Stir in rose water to taste.
- 10When kunefe comes out of the oven, ladle 2/3 of the hot syrup over it and save the rest to pass while eating.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kunefe (A Sweet Cheese Pastry made with Kadaifi)
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.7
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 64.7 mg
- Sodium 337.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 40.3 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: