1 hr 35 mins
Um ahmad al gimzawie's Note:
A well known and delicious Arabic sweet commonly eaten in countries like Palestine and Jordan. This is a variation that my family does that does not contain "sweet cheese". Unlike other kenafe recipes, this one taste delicious reheated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 425.24 g ricotta cheese
- 226.79 g package shredded phyllo dough
- 118.32 ml sweet butter
- 22.18 ml sugar
- finely diced pistachios
- 1Combine water, sugar, and kenafe coloring and boil till it becomes syup consistency, let cool.
- 2Finley shred phyllo dough.
- 3Melt butter in microwave and mix together with shredded phyllo dough.
- 4Place in a 9x13 baking sheet and bake at 450° for about 5-10 minutes until dough gets a little crispy. Make sure to stir dough every 2 minutes so that it does not burn on edges.
- 5Remove a little more than half of the dough from the baking sheet.
- 6Spread remaining dough evenly and flatly on baking sheet.
- 7Mix sugar and ricotta cheese together, then place evenly on top layer of phyllo dough.
- 8Evenly spread remaining phyllo dough over layer of cheese.
- 9Bake on 425 for 30-40 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and pour cooled syrup while kenafe is still hot.
- 11Decorate with chopped pistachios.
Nutritional Facts for Kunafe - Kenafe - Knafe Gimzawia
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.4
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 148.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g