Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
A well known and delicious Arabic sweet commonly eaten in countries like Palestine and Jordan. This is a variation that my family does that does not contain "sweet cheese". Unlike other kenafe recipes, this one taste delicious reheated.
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 0.5 (16 ounce) packageshredded phyllo dough
- 8 tablespoons sweet butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- finely diced pistachios
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kenafe food coloring
- Combine water, sugar, and kenafe coloring and boil till it becomes syup consistency, let cool.
- Finley shred phyllo dough.
- Melt butter in microwave and mix together with shredded phyllo dough.
- Place in a 9x13 baking sheet and bake at 450° for about 5-10 minutes until dough gets a little crispy. Make sure to stir dough every 2 minutes so that it does not burn on edges.
- Remove a little more than half of the dough from the baking sheet.
- Spread remaining dough evenly and flatly on baking sheet.
- Mix sugar and ricotta cheese together, then place evenly on top layer of phyllo dough.
- Evenly spread remaining phyllo dough over layer of cheese.
- Bake on 425 for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour cooled syrup while kenafe is still hot.
- Decorate with chopped pistachios.
Excellent version of Knafe. I made this this week and my husband and I truly enjoyed it. We used to get this at a Lebanese restaurant where we used to live. They have since closed and we have not been able to find a recipe comparable to theirs. This one was perfect. I was glad to see that it did not have the rose water or orange blossom because we do not care for either of those. This was the perfect balance! I did add a little lemon juice to the syrup for our person taste. I can't wait to make it again!