Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
My own invention of several years ago (or perhaps a combination of other Asian-type recipes I had seen before), scrupulously tested and vetted. I think the sauce is fantastic; it suits my tastes as it is not as sweet as some chinese restaurant sauces and is probably much more healthful, yet it's still spicy and intensely flavorful. If you have a committed carnivore for a spouse, or if you are one, you can substitute real meat for the wheat gluten. I've made it with tofu and soy-based meat substitutes as well.
Top Review by Tarteausucre
Simple to make, I made Recipe #308293 for the rice. I ususally make stir fry with more oil, this time I used some of the veggie stock to steam them in the wok and then added a little oil when cooking the tofu. I wasn't a huge fan of the hoisin, but the boyfriend loved it. Made for a light late lunch. Thank you very much for posting. Made for ZWT 6.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (Lee Kum Kee brand recommended)
- 1 tablespoon chile sauce with garlic
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot (or 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch)
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and sliced diagonally (about 2)
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, trimmed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu or 8 ounces wheat gluten or 8 ounces cooked beef or 8 ounces cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 3 -4 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Assemble vegetables. Meanwhile, bring broth and water to boil, add rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes (or follow instructions on box, omitting salt and butter).
- Whisk together sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- In medium wok or large skillet, heat vegetable and sesame oils under medium-high setting. Add carrots and stir-fry 1-2 minutes. Add snow peas and stir-fry 1-2 minutes. Add pepper and onion (at the same time) and stir-fry 1-2 minutes. Add meat substitute or meat and stir-fry 1-2 minutes.
- Pour sauce over vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling while stirring, and simmer under reduced heat until until vegetables are crisp-tender (about 1-2 minutes or more).
- Spoon over hot rice, sprinkle with scallions and serve.