1/5 Photos of Kumquat's Savory Rice and Cheese Bake
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
The wine and herbs really make this dish special, and different from most other rice and cheese casseroles I've seen elsewhere. This is a recipe I invented several years ago, loved it and made countless times and have only changed it occasionally by adding cooked chopped broccoli or chopped fresh tomatoes. You could try adding other types of vegetables, cooked or not according to judgment. It makes a great side dish or vegetarian main course. If you have leftover rice, I recommend only using if made with broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml long-grain rice
- 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 14.79 ml butter
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 7.39 ml dried basil
- 7.39 ml dried thyme
- 3.69 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml dry white wine, plus up to
- 29.58 ml dry white wine
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 354.88 ml low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 6 ounces)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook rice in 2 quart pot according to instructions, except substitute vegetable broth for water and omit salt and/or butter.
- 3Meanwhile, chop onions and mince garlic and then melt butter in non-stick skillet.
- 4Add onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- 5Add garlic and saute for about 2 more minutes.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Add basil, thyme, oregano, black pepper and soy sauce to onion mixture.
- 8When rice is done, add onion and spice mixture to pot and mix. Add 1/4 cup or more wine (depending on moistness of rice) and fluff with fork.
- 9Place rice in 2 quart casserole sprayed with non-stick cooking oil and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- 10Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kumquat's Savory Rice and Cheese Bake
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 309.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.5 mg
- Sodium 541.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 14.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: