Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This was the result of using up some leftovers in my freezer and refrigerator. Didn't seem to be anything like it on Recipezaar. BF loved it and said I had to post it, so here it is! You can probably substitute the same amount of cumin for the chile and paparika, but I didn't have any at the time. I really liked the way the egg and cheese cooked together on top and it tasted really good with the bean mixture.
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded, I used low-fat, separated)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smokey paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup salsa (I used hot)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces veggie crumbles (or ground beef)
- 1 shallot, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the pinto beans, half the cheese, chile, paprika, green onions, tomato and salsa. Mix to combine.
- Whisk together the two eggs and the rest of the cheese.
- Heat olive oil in non-stick skillet. Add the shallot, saute a bit, then the vegetarian crumbles. Cook until browned.
- Combine the bean mixture and crumbles. Mix and pour into pie crust. Pour the egg and cheese mixture on top.
- Cook for about 40-45 minutes until egg is done and cheese is melted.