Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Originally from Healthy Food Guide Magazine in New Zealand, but we found it in their cook book and have made it several times since. Lovely combination of sweet and sour, with a bit of a kick from the radishes.
- 3 large kumara, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup gherkin, sliced into rounds
- 4 eggs, hardboiled and cut into half
- 2 smoked chicken breasts, skin removed and thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced into rounds
- salt and pepper
- Put kumera in a pot, add apinch of salt and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook till tender, approx 15 - 20 minutes. Drain, run ender cold water and rub the skin off the kumera.
- Cut the kumera into pieces and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with the vinegar and set aside to cool.
- In another bowl combine the honey, oil, onion, parsley and gherkins. Fold this into the kumeras, trying not to break up the kumera too much, then gently fold in the eggs, chicken and radishes Season to taste and cover and chill for a couple of hours before serving.