Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
An old family favourite. You can add cilantro instead of the parsley if you wish or add more curry powder or use a curry paste instead. Add some finely diced chilli or ground chilli flakes if you wish. For a gluten-free version be sure that all ingredients used are gluten-free. Cooking time does not include the 30 minutes refrigeration time required
- 600 g kumara, peeled roughly chopped and steamed
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley (cilantro) or 1⁄2 cup coriander, chopped finely (cilantro)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or 1 teaspoon curry paste
- 1 chili, finely diced (optional)
- 425 g tuna, well drained
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs (packaged) or 1⁄2 cup dried gluten-free breadcrumbs
- Peel and roughly chop the kumera.
- Steam the kumera and roughly mash. Measure out 2 cups of mashed kumera for the recipe.
- Add the 2 cups kumera and all remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Using your hands, roll 1/4 cup of the mixture into a ball and flatten them to form patty shapes. Continue with the remaining mixture. If the mixture is too wet, add in some more breadcrumbs.
- You can roll the patties in some extra dry packaged breadcrumbs if you wish.
- Refrigerate patties for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Heat a little oil in a large frypan and add the patties. Cook until browned on each side. Turn patties gentley.
- Serve with a salad on the side and a sauce/mayonnaise of your choice.
Very good patties! I love sweet potato flavor and their mushy texture. I didn't use curry or chilli to suit our taste and add some scallions. Served with small salad and mango chutney. Texture was perfect they hold together nicely! Thank you Jubes.
Beautiful! The kumera gave this a distinctive taste over regular potatoes and the all the rest of the ingredients worked really well together. Only change I made to suit what I had was use a teaspoon odd of chili sauce rather than a fresh chili. The texture was perfect and nice and light while being easy to cook without breaking apart.
This is one really great recipe.
DH and I loved these. I only made a couple of changes, I used both kumera and normal potato (only because I had a little mashed potato left over) and I baked mine in the oven.
We love the hint of curry with the Kumera and this made for a delightful dinner, with salad. Although don't think us strange .......BUT.........I just loved tuna patties with tomato sauce and DH enjoy's his with a touch of vinegar!
Jubes we did really love these and will be making these again.
Top recipe! Thanks Jubes.