1 hr 20 mins
Susie T's Note:
At the time of submitting this recipe I have experienced a very cold and windy winter and this meal was delicious and warmed us up. I have made it into a low-fat version for those of us that don't want to pile on the kilos through winter. I usually buy chicken breast fillets and mince them myself, that way I know there is little fat in it. Chicken mince bought from the supermarket may have very high levels of fat. To make a lower GI for those with diabetes just reduce the amount of white potatoes and replace with sweet potato. Serve with a salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 750 g lean ground chicken
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water, extra
- 1Heat pan with some cooking spray, add onion and cook until soft.
- 2Add mince and cook until colour has changed.
- 3Add water, stock powder, wine, herbs, tomato paste, peas and corn and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender.
- 4Blend cornflour with extra water and stir into mince mixture until it boils and thickens.
- 5Transfer into a greased ovenproof dish and cover with kumara topping (can be piped on for a decorative look).
- 6Bake uncovered in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned on top.
- 7TOPPING: Boil potatoes and kumaras until tender and then drain.
- 8Place them in a bowl together with the milk, margarine, salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kumara Topped Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 539.3
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 108.7 mg
- Sodium 304.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 52.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated low-fat milk