Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kumara = sweet potato
Make and share this Kumara and Red Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in pan, add onion, coriander and cumin; cook, stirring, until onion is soft. Add kumara, lentils, water and crumbled stock cubes.
- Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes or until kumara is tender.
- Blend soup, in batches, until pureed.
- Return to pan, stir over heat until heat until hot. Stir in soy sauce. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt.
- Cheers, Doreen. Doreen Randal, Wanganui, New Zealand.
Woohoo. This one surely does 'hit the spot'. Made it the day before and thought, 'Yeah, okay'. But heated up the next day, Just magnificent!! Initially made for Mr 4 yr old who has numerous food intolerances and allergies. As I was checking that it was not too hot for him as he was eating I was blown away by the delicious taste. I used 375mls Campbells Chicken stock plus the water measurement with 2 tsp of Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon which doesn't contain any artifical colours or flavours. I also didn't blend / puree it, just put a potato masher through to sort of break the mixture down a bit, while it still, remained slighly chunky. Can highly recommend.
I made this soup using leftovers instead of from scratch: some cooked lentils I used for indian food and homemade sweet potato fries. It turned out absolutely delicious. I also added some leftover spiced rice for variation.
This is a great soup which appealed to a 5 year old as well as the adults in the house. Smells fantastic while it is cooking!