Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A lovely Eritrean coworker of mine brought this to work for me the other day. She served it on injera and it was wonderful! It's spicy but not too spicy and has lots of texture from the beef. She barely speaks a lick of English so I wasn't able to get her recipe. I searched for one and this sounds like the same one. This version is adapted from Taste of Eritrea by Olivia Warren. You can also us Tegelese Tesmi (Eritrean Herb Butter) for the butter. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter (you can use Tegelese Tesmi (Eritrean Herb Butter))
- 1 medium onion, Chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, Chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, Chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon berbere or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 lb top round steak, cut into small Cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Saute onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add tomato, garlic and berbere. Add meat and saute for 10 minutes.
- Serve on injera or a sourdough bread.
This was too bland for us personally, but then I'm used to getting African food from a local restaurant. ZWT7.