1/1 Photo of Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream With Nuts)
1 hr 50 mins
A wonderful Madhur Jaffrey recipe. You don't need an ice-cream maker for this recipe, but if you do have one, you may use it! There are quite a few recipes posted here which includes cream. Kulfi is not made with cream, it's made with reduced milk. You may use full-cream or semi-skimmed milk. So, it would help to have a wide, heavy based sauce-pan for boiling down the milk, but a heavy non-stick pan would do as well. Please note, the cooking time does not include cooling time and freezing time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour the milk into a wide, heavy based sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- 2As soon as the milk begins to rise, turn the heat down just to the point to allow the milk to simmer vigorously but without boiling over.
- 3Add in the cardamom pods.
- 4Leave the milk to boil and stir the sides of the pan constantly to avoid scalding.
- 5Whenever a film forms on top of the milk, just stir it in .
- 6The milk has to reduce to about a third of the original amount, about 750 ml (1 1/4 pints) which will take about 45 minutes.
- 7When the milk has reduced, remove the cardamom pods and discard them.
- 8Add in the sugar and almonds, stir and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.
- 9Pour the reduced milk into a bowl (which can be put into the freezer) and let it cool completely.
- 10Add half of the chopped pistachios and stir them in .
- 11Cover the bowl with an aluminum foil and put it in the freezer.
- 12(I do not have an ice-cream maker, but if you do, then you can pour the milk into the machine and get it going).
- 13Meanwhile, put 6 small individual cups or a 900ml ( 1 1/2 pints) pudding basin in the freezer.
- 14Every 15 minutes or so, remove the ice-cream bowl from the freezer and give the ice-cream a good stir.
- 15As the ice-cream begins to freeze, it will become harder to stir but when it becomes almost impossible to stir, take out the cups or pudding basin from the freezer and divide the ice-cream between the cups or empty it into the pudding basin.
- 16Sprinkle the remaining pistachios over the top and cover with aluminum foil sealing them well on the edges.
- 17Return them back to the freezer to let the ice-cream harden (for at least 4 hours).
- 18If it's in individual cups, then remove the cups from the freezer 10-15 minutes before you want to serve it to soften slightly.
- 19If it's made in the pudding basin, you can put it in the fridge 20-30 minutes before serving.
- 20Remove the ice-cream from the pudding basin by running a sharp knife around the edges of the ice-cream and slip it onto a serving plate (it should slip off easily, if it doesn't then dip the bowl in hot water and try again).
- 21Cut into 6 slabs and serve.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kulfi (Indian Ice Cream With Nuts)
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.3
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 48.2 mg
- Sodium 178.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods