1/1 Photo of Kuku Paka (Kenyan Chicken Curry)
1 hr 15 mins
A simple curry recipe from Kenya.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 hot chili peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil or 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups coconut milk (15-ounce can)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1Add the onion, chiles, ginger and garlic to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add a little water if necessary.
- 2Heat the oil or ghee in a large pot or wok over medium flame. Add the onion puree, curry powder and cumin and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until cooked down. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the chicken, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. Add more water as needed. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
- 3Stir in the cilantro. Serve with with rice or chapatti.
- 4Variations: For authentic flavor, grill the chicken pieces before stirring them into the simmering sauce. If you like, you can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
- 5Some recipes add potatoes or hard-boiled eggs to the curry. The potatoes can be cooked ahead, cut into chunks and stirred into the curry toward the end.
- 6Eliminate the hot chiles for a milder dish. Or substitute a chopped sweet bell pepper.
- 7Reserve some of the coconut cream that gathers at the top of the can and stir it into the sauce at the very end for extra silky results.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kuku Paka (Kenyan Chicken Curry)
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1434.5
- Calories from Fat 807
- Total Fat 89.7 g
- Saturated Fat 39.4 g
- Cholesterol 255.1 mg
- Sodium 303.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 81.0 g
- Protein 67.3 g