Posting this for ZWT 2006, this is an Eastern Africa dish from Swahili. As it uses curry, if you've looked at my recipes before, you should have KNOWN you'd find something like it here hehehe. This gets served over hot rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons cooking oil or 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 green peppers, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving-sized pieces
- 1 cup water
- 4 potatoes, cleaned and cut into quarters (about 2 lbs)
- 3 ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven; over high heat fry the onions and green peppers for a few minutes, stirring constantly; stir in the minced garlic and fry for a minute longer; add the spices and salt and mix well.
- 2Add the chicken to the pot (add another spoonful of oil if necessary to keep chicken from sticking); brown the chicken pieces on all sides; remove chicken and set aside.
- 3Add the water to the pot and bring to a slow boil; add the potatoes and cook them until they begin to become tender.
- 4Return the chicken to the pot and continue to cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally, until the chicken and potatoes are done.
- 5Stir in the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes more.
- 6Add add the coconut milk, reduce heat, and gently stir and simmer until sauce is thickened; stir in the lemon juice.
- 7Garnish with the fresh coriander leaves or parsley immediately before serving;serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kuku Paka (Chicken in a Spiced Coconut/ Tomato Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (539 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1276.4
- Calories from Fat 598
- Total Fat 66.4 g
- Saturated Fat 33.9 g
- Cholesterol 160.4 mg
- Sodium 808.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 83.3 g
- Protein 45.6 g