Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Kashmiri saffron-flavored chicken.
- 1⁄4 onion, processed to a paste
- 4 chicken breasts (or thighs or drumsticks)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter, regular butter works as a substitute)
- 10 cups water (enough to cover the chicken when simmering, don't use more than you need)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed saffron
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fry the onion paste in 1 tbsp oil until fragrant (about 2 min). Remove and reserve.
- Fry the chicken parts in ghee and remaining oil until light brown.
- Return onion paste to the pan. Add salt and all seasonings except saffron and black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer until chicken is tender (10-20 min, but this will depend on the size of the chicken parts). Add saffron and black pepper.
- Quickly bring to a rapid boil, then serve.