Prep 3 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe on a Lithuanian website. I've never made this before but it sounds good. It sounds to me that some of the times might be off - prep and cook times - but I'm posting them as given with the recipe. It sounds like it's a bit of work to make these, but the reviews state that it's worth the time. The leftovers can be served the next day by slicing and pan frying the slices and serving with sour cream.
- 5 lbs potatoes, finely grated
- 3 medium onions, finely grated
- 1 lb bacon, cut and fried, all fat reserved
- 6 eggs
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Peel potatoes and onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, hand grate potatoes and onions using the smallest grate holes.
- Texture should be "mushy" and moist. (NOTE: A food processor set on the smallest setting can be used for this step, but the texture will not be as mushy.).
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry in a medium skillet until crisp.
- Pour bacon (including grease) into potato mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs with a fork.
- Pour eggs into potato mixture.
- Butter (or spray with Pam) 2 meatloaf pans.
- Divide potato mixture evenly between the 2 pans.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Slice as you would a meatloaf and serve topped with sour cream (if desired).