1/1 Photo of Kugelhopf
3 hrs 55 mins
This is supposedly a recipe that Marie Antoinette took with her from Austria to France, where it became increasingly popular. It is traditionally baked in a special Kugelhopf mold, which gives it a festive look (it can be made in a tube pan) Thus it makes a delightful holiday bread. Kugelhopf is an excellent coffee cake or breakfast bread, especially with fresh butter and honey. It can also be served topped with fruit, and makes delicious toast indeed. I seached for this recipe for many years and finally found a Canadian Chef on the internet who was kind enough to give me this one... I get excited over this recipe because I am now 67 yrs old and I can remember my German Grandmother sitting at the kitchen table when I was 5 years old, beating this dough with a wooden spoon...what a wonderful memory and taste !!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in the warm water and let it proof.
- 2Sift the flour, putting 2 cups in each of two bowls.
- 3Set one bowl aside.
- 4Work together 2 cups of flour and the soft butter (this may be done in the electric mixer).
- 5Mix in the salt and the eggs, one at a time, beating until very thoroughly incorporated.
- 6In alternate batches, add the remaining 2 cups flour and the yeast mixture.
- 7Mix in the electric mixer or with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended and elastic, then stir in the raisins.
- 8Put in a large, lightly floured bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 9Punch the dough down.
- 10Heavily butter a standard 10-inch Kugelhoph mold or a 10-inch tube pan and sprinkle half the sliced almonds around the bottom of the mold (the butter will make them adhere).
- 11Pour or spoon half the dough into the mold, sprinkle in the rest of the almonds, and add the remaining dough.
- 12Let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 13Bake in a preheated oven at 475 degrees F.
- 14for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until nicely browned, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- 15Remove from the oven and let stand for 3 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack.
Nutritional Facts for Kugelhopf
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.5
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 170.0 mg
- Sodium 1030.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 18.5 g
- Protein 13.1 g