Recipe by SLColman
"Ah, Kugela! The national dish of Lithuania! What celebration would be complete without it? Remember, Kugela is an art, not just a recipe. Experiment with ingredients and techniques to make your own Kugela statement. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if you like."
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, grated
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, finely grated, and soaked in water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper
- sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon pieces until crisp; remove to drain on paper towels.
- Reserve half of bacon drippings, and set aside.
- Return skillet to stove; stir onions, and cook until soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl, stir together reserved drippings, bacon, onion, and potatoes.
- Mix in flour, evaporated milk, and eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven until top is nicely brown, about 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve with sour cream, if desired.