Recipe by Alan Leonetti
Don't be intimidated. This is VERY EASY to make & it will be the BEST KUGEL YOU'VE EVER HAD!
Top Review by 810587
This recipe was a big hit a nd I will most definitely make it again. However, this kugel is a lot of work to make. It took me two solid hours of prep time before I got it in the oven.
Ingredients for the noodle mixture
- 12 ounces medium egg noodles
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup tokai wine (or any sweet white wine)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided use
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Ingredients for the fruit mixture
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries (or cranberries)
- 1⁄2 cup white raisins
- 3 -4 large baking apples (Granny Smith, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel& core the apples.
- Cut the apples into quarters& then slice them into 1/4" slices& set aside.
- Cook the noodles in the milk, cream, wine& a 1/2 cup of the sugar until very soft (about 20 minutes).
- In a bowl, mix the eggs, egg yolks, sour cream& the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar together.
- After the noodles are slightly cooled& not piping hot, mix the egg mixture into the noodles with the heat off.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In another bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, rum, vanilla& apple juice concentrate.
- In a sautè pan, melt the butter over high heat.
- When melted, reduce to medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar& then the apples.
- Arrange the apple slices so that they are not on top of each other& they are flat.
- Sautè for 1 minute& then add the rum& apple juice mixture.
- Cook until somewhat thickened& then stir in the cherries.
- In a 2 1/2 quart buttered (or sprayed with Pam) casserole, alternate the noodle mixture& the fruit mixture in 5 layers (3 noodle& 2 fruit) beginning& ending with noodle layers.
- Bake uncovered until the top begins to get brown, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve topped with sour cream.