Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A Russian-German treat courtesy of Mary Eisner. An alternative to using fruit is to sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Baking time approximate.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for yeast mixture
- 1 cup water, about 110F
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- fruit (of your choice-sliced apples, apricots, peaches, berries, or seedless grapes are all good)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream, thickened with a little flour (a tablespoon or two should do it)
Rivels or Crumb Mixture
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in lukewarm water.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk with sugar, butter and salt; let cool to lukewarm and add 2 cups of flour to make a batter.
- Add yeast mixture and eggs; beat well.
- Add remaining flour or enough to make a soft dough.
- Knead well, cover and let rise till doubled in bulk, about 2 hours (depending upon the temperature in the kitchen).
- Punch down and let rise again until doubled in volume.
- This will make 3 portions for 9" x 12" pans or 6 portions for 9" round pans.
- Divide into desired portions, roll out evenly and spread into greased pans.
- Mix topping ingredients together and spread 1/3 on each cake; place fruit on top.
- Mix rivels ingredients together.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the crumbs on each cake.
- Let it rise again in the pan.
- While rising, preheat oven to 375°F
- Bake until golden brown; serve either warm or cool.