Recipe by Krystal Shankle1
This recipe came from my ex- mother in-law. I think it is great because it's different. It's a great vegetarian dish. I guarentee It will be a winner in your home.
Top Review by Susie D
I liked several things about this recipe, but wasn't totally happy with the finished product. I did like the addition of mushrooms to a traditional spinach enchilada and even the bacon was interesting. Unfortunately the bacon was soggy & limp after baking in the enchiladas. I also think the sauce needs some additional seasoning or spices. Overall the recipe was very bland and wasn't a good match for my spicier loving family. Thank you for posting your recipe.
- 2 packages spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (or canned)
- 1 cup chopped green chili
- 2 packages tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- white sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and saute this with your spinach, mushrooms, green chili's.
- while this is being done, fry your bacon.
- Then add bacon to your sauted mixture.
- Now start preparing your tortilla's by adding first your cheese, followed by a couple spoonfuls of your sauted mixture.
- When done with rolling tortilla's, it is now time to make your white sauce topping.
- Take a small sauce pan add your butter.
- Then add your flour, stir until all lumps are gone.
- Now add your milk.
- Stir until thick consistency.
- Pour and cover enchiladas.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
- Longer depending on oven.
- This is a great dish.
- It is perfect for vegetarians, just exclude the bacon.