Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from my ex- mother in-law. I think it is great because it's different. It's a great vegetarian dish. I guarentee It will be a winner in your home.
- 2 packages spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (or canned)
- 1 cup chopped green chili
- 2 packages tortillas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- white sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chop onion and saute this with your spinach, mushrooms, green chili's.
- while this is being done, fry your bacon.
- Then add bacon to your sauted mixture.
- Now start preparing your tortilla's by adding first your cheese, followed by a couple spoonfuls of your sauted mixture.
- When done with rolling tortilla's, it is now time to make your white sauce topping.
- Take a small sauce pan add your butter.
- Then add your flour, stir until all lumps are gone.
- Now add your milk.
- Stir until thick consistency.
- Pour and cover enchiladas.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes.
- Longer depending on oven.
- This is a great dish.
- It is perfect for vegetarians, just exclude the bacon.
I liked several things about this recipe, but wasn't totally happy with the finished product. I did like the addition of mushrooms to a traditional spinach enchilada and even the bacon was interesting. Unfortunately the bacon was soggy & limp after baking in the enchiladas. I also think the sauce needs some additional seasoning or spices. Overall the recipe was very bland and wasn't a good match for my spicier loving family. Thank you for posting your recipe.
OOPS!! There is no oven setting with this recipe, am going to make it and figure 350f would be correct. Let you know what I think of it....Thanks, Jo C.