1/3 Photos of Krupnik (Polish Mushroom Barley Soup)
1 hr 15 mins
This is my M-I-l's recipe for Mushroom Barley soup, which is made with dried "cepe" (aka porcini) mushrooms. Other dried mushrooms may be substituted....of course that will change the flavor of the soup. Making it with chicken stock or with a meat bone (instead of water), will give it a richer flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the cepes in a little water for 15 minutes, until they soften.
- 2Chop all the vegetables finely in 2 batches in the food processor and put them in a pan with the barley and all the water (including the mushroom-soaking water).
- 3Chop the softened mushrooms in the food processor, and add them to the pot.
- 4Bring to the boil, remove the scum, season with plenty of salt and pepper, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the barley is very soft and plump.
- 5The barley will thicken the soup.
- 6Add water if necessary, to thin it.
- 7Serve with sour cream, especially if the soup was made with water instead of broth.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Krupnik (Polish Mushroom Barley Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.3
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.1 g