Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my M-I-l's recipe for Mushroom Barley soup, which is made with dried "cepe" (aka porcini) mushrooms. Other dried mushrooms may be substituted....of course that will change the flavor of the soup. Making it with chicken stock or with a meat bone (instead of water), will give it a richer flavor.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (cepes)
- 13 cups water or 13 cups stock (or more)
- 2 small carrots (optional)
- 2 small turnips (optional)
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium potatoes (optional)
- 2 stalks celery & leaves (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- sour cream (optional)
- Soak the cepes in a little water for 15 minutes, until they soften.
- Chop all the vegetables finely in 2 batches in the food processor and put them in a pan with the barley and all the water (including the mushroom-soaking water).
- Chop the softened mushrooms in the food processor, and add them to the pot.
- Bring to the boil, remove the scum, season with plenty of salt and pepper, and simmer for 1 hour, or until the barley is very soft and plump.
- The barley will thicken the soup.
- Add water if necessary, to thin it.
- Serve with sour cream, especially if the soup was made with water instead of broth.
Dziekuje (thank you in Polish) for this wonderful soup that tasted as if it was made according to my family's old world recipe. My father sent me some mixed dried mushrooms from Poland so when I stumbled upon this recipe I knew I had to make it and I'm glad I did. Thank you again.
This was really a great recipe Dee. They only sold 1 oz pkgs. of dried porcinis so that is what I used. I put it in a bowl and added I think about 1 cup boiled water which gave a nice broth to put in with the soup. I used about 13 or 14 cups chicken stock. I put in all the veggies listed. I didn't think it needed any sour cream served with it. Delicious enough with out it. I chopped my own veggies though, didn't take out the processor and it worked out great. The kitchen really smelled good while it was simmering. It is also great that this soup can be put in the pot so quickly. Thanks again Dee for a wonderful soup recipe.
Very tasty and very filling. I did not serve it with sour cream. It didn't need it.