Recipe by mollypaul
Delicious with your morning coffee, this recipe comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening and cut in well with a fork.
- Take out 1 cup of crumbs; to remaining crumbs add well beaten egg yolks and milk.
- Beat egg whites stiffly; fold into batter.
- Mix well and pour into two well-greased 9 x 9 inch pans and sprinkle tops with the reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 400F about 45 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle top with melted butter and cinnamon when finished baking.