Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious with your morning coffee, this recipe comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups flour, sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup butter, melted
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add shortening and cut in well with a fork.
- Take out 1 cup of crumbs; to remaining crumbs add well beaten egg yolks and milk.
- Beat egg whites stiffly; fold into batter.
- Mix well and pour into two well-greased 9 x 9 inch pans and sprinkle tops with the reserved crumbs.
- Bake at 400F about 45 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle top with melted butter and cinnamon when finished baking.