Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Here is a great traditional recipe for Boureki from Crete. These are quite easy to prepare and make a delicious light lunch or dinner. As a variation, you can add oregano & garlic. You may also use an extra sheet of phyllo to close the Boureki up!
- 1 kg potato, cut in thin slices
- 1 kg courgettes or 1 kg zucchini, cut in thin slices
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 250 ml milk
- 570 g grated mizithra cheese or 570 g crumbled feta cheese
- salt and black pepper
- 2 sheets phyllo dough (home made or frozen) or 2 sheets phyllo dough (home made or frozen)
- olive oil
- Roll out the first phyllo sheet and spread it on an oiled baking pan. Oil the phyllo sheet and then roll out the second phyllo sheet and spread it over the first one. Both phyllo sheets should come up above the borders of the baking pan.
- Mix the potatoes, courgette, cheese and mint thoroughly in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Carefully spoon this mixture over the phyllo. (You can also make this by making seasoned layers of alternating vegetables ~ very pretty when sliced!).
- Pour over the cup of milk, fold the remaining parts of the phyllo sheets inside the pan and bake in preheated oven in 200°C until the potatoes are tender (around 1 - 1 1/2 hour). Add a little extra milk if it seems to dry out before it's done cooking.
- Serve warm with a salad and fresh bread!
What a great recipe! In a hurry to get dinner on the table - I made this with cous cous salad using courgettes from the garden. EVERYONE ate it and loved it!
wow this is fantastic, i first had this in crete last yearand have to say this is as good as mamas. if you haventtried it yet then this is a must.
Delicious! I have never had boureki in quite this way. The veggie filling is pretty standard, I'd say. What makes this different is the phyllo shell, turning it into a 'pita'. Very nice as it made it a kind of Greek quiche. Scaled to 1/2 and happy I tried this verion, which I'll be making again. (don't leave out the fresh mint - it's a must have!)