Recipe by SandwichQueen
I was recently sold on quinoa and how awesome it is! Gluten free, an almost perfect protein, easy to prepare, the list goes on! This is a combination of two recipes, one of which I altered. The first is from this site, (#16399, Quinoa-Toasted). The second is from Allrecipes.com (Caron's Kickin' Quinoa Salad), to which I made some changes. We thought it tasted a bit like sushi and loved it! Feel free to add more heat, but this had enough for our family as we've got wee ones. A large portion of the cooking time is cooling time.
- 1 cup quinoa
- water, for rinsing
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- pickled ginger
- 2 avocados, cut into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa well in a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth (you want to rinse until the water is no longer cloudy and makes no more suds). Drain well and transfer to a dry non-stick skillet.
- Heat the skillet and quinoa over medium heat about 15 minutes, stirring, until quinoa is golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Begin heating 2 cups water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover, and stir occasionally until cooled.
- Prepare vegetables while you are waiting for the quinoa to cool.
- Combine mayo, wasabi powder, lemon juice, tuna, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add in red pepper and cucumber and stir.
- Add cooled quinoa and stir to combine.
- Serve garnished with pickled ginger and avocados.