Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My wife developed this recipe from another, with some additions of her own, and it is one of my favorites.
- 1 lb ground pork breakfast sausage
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 medium celery ribs, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 20 ounces Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large skillet, crumble and brown sausage.
- Add butter and stir until melted.
- Add celery, mushroom, and green pepper, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Add about 1/2 cup of the stock to deglaze the pan; pour over the stuffing in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining stock, parsley, sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg and black pepper.
- Mix by hand until well blended.
- Use to stuff turkey, or place in a buttered baking dish, cover and bake as a side dish.
- Remove the cover at the end to crisp up the top if you like.