Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com Posting for safe keeping. (Prep time includes allowing dough to rise twice.)
- 1 1⁄4 ounces yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (100 - 110 F)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable shortening (as required by your fryer)
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 pinch salt
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Let solution stand for 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy on top. (Make sure water isn't too hot, or you may kill the yeast).
- Combine flour and salt in large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add yeast solution, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract and mix well w/ electric mixer for 30 seconds, or just until all ingredients are combined.
- Form dough into a ball, then let it sit in a bowl, covered, in a warm place for approximately one hour, or until dough doubles in size.
- Gently roll out dough until it's about 1/2-inch thick on a floured surface. Use a well-floured 3-inch biscuit cutter (or doughnut cutter) to cut out circles of dough. Then, use a well-floured lid from a plastic soda bottle (about 1-1/8 inch diameter) to cut the hole.
- Arrange doughnuts on lightly floured cookie sheets, cover w/ plastic wrap, and let sit for one hour in a warm place, until doubled in size.
- While doughnuts rest, make the glaze by combining powdered sugar, boiling water, and salt. Whisk glaze until smooth, then cover w/ plastic wrap until you are ready to use it.
- As doughnuts rise, heat vegetable shortening in a fryer to 375°F.
- When doughnuts have doubled in size, transfer 2-3 at a time to the shortening. (Lift doughnuts gently when transfering) so they do not collapse. Fry doughnuts for 1-1/2- 2 minutes per side, then remove them to a cooling rack.
- After a minute or so on cooling rack, spoon glaze generously over the top of each doughnut. Entire surface should be coated with glaze.