Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts are the best. It's really hard to get that special taste. I have my own special recipe that I think gets close to the taste. Warning: This is not a healthy recipe. You are going to balk at the ingredients, but I promise you they are worth it.
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar in warm water until foamy.
- Melt lard in scalding milk.
- Mix 2 cups flour, sugar and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Add yeast, milk, eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the rest of flour, 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball in a bowl, covered, in a warm place for one hour, or until dough doubles in size.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness on floured surface, cut with doughnut cutter.
- Place doughnuts on lightly floured cookie sheets and let rise.
- Make Glaze:
- Mix powdered sugar and water until smooth.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- When doughnuts have doubled in size, fry in small batches until golden. 1 -2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Move doughnuts to cookie rack, spoon glaze over doughnuts.