Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The little Norwegian store here makes these by the dozens. They either dunk them in their coffee or butter them on the bottom to eat them. Yum! (Yield depends on how thick and or big you make them, so judge accordingly).
- 1⁄4 lb butter (don't use margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- Cream butter and sugar add egg and villa and beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Sift together baking soda, powder and flour.
- Add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Chill overnite.
- Take a teaspoon of dough and roll out in your hands into a snake about 8-inches long.
- Form into a "Figure 8" shape on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove and cool completely.
These turned out perfect! I think the other reviewer possibly made one of the following mistakes: the dough must be cold at all times. I keep the dough in a stainless steel bowl, then put that bowl in a bowl of ice while I'm forming the cookies. Another possibility is that you must handle the dough as little as possible. Use a light touch while rolling it out and don't spend a lot of time forming the 8.
I followed this recipe exactly and the cookie turned out very light and fluffy.
I was really excited about finding this recipe, but my first batch completely dind't work. I couldn't roll the dough, even after chilling it for 24 hours. I even tried it in the freezer. With much work, I was able to get a few figure 8s. When baked, they came out more like a bidcuit than a cookie. My dad even said that they tasted like airy pancakes. Anyhow, I tried to make them again, thinking that I had made a mistake. The same thing happened. I think that something is really wrong with this recipe. The only saving grace is that these are great with butter and served with soup.
Laurie, This was my mother-in-law's worst nightmare! Finally, I've found the secret kringle recipe from "The Norway Store"! It's been a closely guarded secret in my wife's family, and now that I have it my evil plan may be complete! They'll have to move to North Carolina instead of having their daughter move back to Seneca, IL. They're fantastic, just as I expected! Thanks!