Recipe by Ingen
This is a traditional Norwegian cookie that my family always makes during the Holidays. It is not overly sweet but I think you'll find that it is quite lovely. Enjoy!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together sour cream, sugar, shortening, and half of the buttermilk.
- Dissolve baking soda in other half of buttermilk and add it to sour cream mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix flour mixture to sour cream mixture one half cup at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Refrigerate dough until cold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat hands with flour and 1 tablespoon at a time roll dough into a ball, then into a long strip (like a snake), then shape strip into a figure eights.
- Place figure eights on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.