Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup citron, minced finely
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nutmeats
- Beat eggs and sugar until very light.
- Add butter, raisins and citron.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cardomom together three times and add to first mixture.
- Blend thoroughly.
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape into rings.
- Place on a buttered cookie sheet.
- Brush the tops with beaten eggs and sprinkle with sugar and finely chopped nuts.
- Bake at 350F until a golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- When cool, slice about 1 inch wide, as though slicing bread.