Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Now that I'm back in Australia, I really miss the yummy Jewish food I used to eat at The Bagel in Chicago. I looked on 'Zaar for a Kreplach recipe & my search didn't give me anything. I looked on the Net & this is what I found. It sounds authentic... I'll post any comments once I make it. The prep time is approximate. Note: instead of making noodles from scratch, buy Won-Ton skins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups flour, unsifted
- 2 cups beef or 2 cups lamb, cooked and ground
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Filling: Combine meat, onion, salt, pepper& egg in a food processor until just mixed.
- Dough: Add salt to eggs, then add eggs to flour.
- Mix with your hands until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- It should be stiff.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board, stretch until it is very thin.
- Cut dough into 3" squares and fill with 1TB of the filling.
- Fold into a triangle& crimp edges with a fork.
- Cook in boiling water for 10-12 minutes or until they rise to the top.
- Serve in chicken soup, or as an appetiser or side dish.