1/2 Photos of Kree's Sweet and "meaty" Vegetarian Chili
A few years ago, I had the best chili I ever tasted at Earle Estates Meadery on Seneca Lake. I knew they had made it with honey, so I decided to experiment and see what I could come up with. I think this is just as fabulous, and it's so quick and easy. I bet even meat eaters would have trouble figuring out that it's made with TVP instead of beef. It's a very mild chili, so add some heat if that's the way you like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dry textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper celery and onion (Hunts)
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey, to taste
- vegetable broth (for non-vegetarians(if needed) or chicken broth (for non-vegetarians(if needed)
- 1Combine the TVP, lukewarm water, and chili powder; allow to sit for about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
- 2Rinse the beans thoroughly to cut down on the sodium content.
- 3Combine the rehydrated TVP, beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cinnamon, and honey in a large pot; turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- 4You may need to add some broth if it gets too thick.
- 5Taste the chili and add more honey or spices as desired.
- 6Simmer an additional 10-15 minutes, or until it's nice and warm; the time is pretty flexible since you're just heating everything up.
- 7This is great served over a baked potato and sprinkled with shredded cheddar soy cheese!
- 8You can also serve it on rice or toast, or however you prefer.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kree's Sweet and "meaty" Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.7
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 358.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
textured vegetable protein
diced tomatoes with green pepper celery and onion